In this episode, Wendy speaks with anthropologist Tanya Luhrmann about how practices embedded in social realities change our minds and our experiences. They discuss:
- her research on unusual spiritual experiences (voices, visions);
- her work with magic practitioners and evangelical Christian communities;
- the boundary between reality and imagination;
- local theory of mind;
- the psychological constructs of absorption and porosity, and how they relate to these spiritual experiences;
- how mental training and mindfulness affect the way we relate to our thoughts;
- the impacts of a relationship with the divine for self and society, and other topics.